Wooden skirting boards - which wood is suitable?
Wood has more than proven itself as a material for the production of skirting boards. The natural material creates a pleasant ambience in your own home, has a cozy and warming effect on the room and can be flexibly sanded, processed and designed according to your own wishes. But not every type of wood is suitable for the production of baseboards. Therefore, we have limited ourselves to the most proven woods, from which high-quality and durable wooden skirting boards can be formed and designed. Each type of wood has its own advantages and disadvantages:
Skirting boards made of beech wood
Beech wood baseboards are a classic, because beech has been used for a long time for the production of wooden baseboards. This is mainly due to the color: beech wood , depending on the age of the tree, has a slight to pronounced red tint, making it look particularly elegant. Even without additional varnish, baseboards made of beech wood will look beautiful in your home. The wood can also be oiled very easily and thus maintained to prevent cracks and breaks in the long term. Alternatively, the beech wood can of course be painted in color or transparent to have a particularly beautiful effect on the ambience of the room. In addition, the varnish also protects against damage to the baseboard. Another advantage of beech wood: although it is a very robust and solid wood , which can be compared with oak, it is available at a much lower price. This is mainly due to the fact that beech also grows well in European forests and can therefore be produced sustainably and cost-effectively.
For a long time, oak baseboards were only available to wealthier people, as oak trees take an exceptionally long time to grow and the resource was therefore severely limited. In more modern times, however, oak wood has been planted in larger quantities and has thus become accessible to the masses. All the nicer, then, to be able to decorate your home with fine oak baseboards! Oak wood is considered to be extremely robust and resistant and is therefore also popular for outdoor use. However, so that oak wood can also be used in damp rooms, regular care of the wood is necessary. The most striking feature of oak skirting boards is the grain, which is particularly pronounced here - each skirting board is therefore an absolutely unique piece and immediately recognizable as such. A small disadvantage with baseboards made of oak wood: The fastening should only be done with glue or clips, because in the wood of the oak is a tanning agent, which accelerates the rusting of the nails. Since rusty nails not only provide a less good grip, but also can discolor the wood, here should not be fastened with nails or screws.
Baseboards made of spruce wood
If you are looking for a sustainable solution for baseboards, you should take a look at baseboards made of spruce wood. Spruce grows in high numbers in our native forests and can therefore boast an excellent environmental balance. No long transport routes are necessary for production and the spruce grows back extremely quickly, so sustainable production is possible. Another advantage here is also the color, because spruce wood is very light, often even almost white. Anyone looking for a light baseboard should therefore take a look at baseboards made of spruce wood. Of course, spruce wood can also be painted or foiled quite easily, so strong contrasting colors like black or white are also no problem here. If you opt for natural wood baseboards, spruce wood benefits from a subtle grain that looks very appealing. In addition, the wood of spruce is very elastic, so the baseboards do not tend to crack even after many years.
Why should you go for baseboards made of wood?
Meanwhile, baseboards made of a wide variety of materials are available on the market. Many of them are more suitable for damp rooms than wooden baseboards - and yet wooden baseboards are still the most popular option. In addition to the warm and cozy look that emanates from wooden baseboards, the material offers several other advantages:
- Natural look: due to their natural look, baseboards made of wood give the room a very special ambience.
- Different profiles: Wood baseboards can be sanded in a wide variety of profiles. Whether Weimar profile, Hamburg profile or Berlin profile, Munich profile or Leipzig profile - with baseboards made of wood, any form of design is beautifully expressed.
- Painting possible: Wooden baseboards can be easily painted. And if after a few years you no longer like the color you have chosen, you can simply sand the baseboards and repaint them. So you have the possibility to always customize the baseboards according to your wishes.
- Versatile to fix: All common fastening options are available for most wood baseboards - whether clip, glue or screws.
- Air-purifying effect: wooden baseboards are a living material that "breathes" even after many years. As a result, the skirting boards have a small, air-purifying effect - even if it is hardly noticeable to us.
- Suitable for many rooms: Baseboards made of wood can be used in most rooms. Only in damp rooms such as the bathroom, where there is high humidity, care should be taken to regularly maintain and treat the wooden baseboard.
- Durable and robust: most types of wood used in the manufacture of baseboards are very durable, robust and resistant to staining and damage. Cracks and porous wood can be prevented with regular maintenance.
- Easy to clean: skirting boards made of wood can be cleaned in a few simple steps. Be careful not to use too aggressive cleaners so as not to attack the surface.
Still questions about our wooden baseboards?
If you still have questions about our wooden baseboards, our friendly and competent customer service is of course at your disposal. We will advise you on all aspects of our large selection of skirting boards and provide you with practical tips and tricks on the different types of wood. If you wish, you can also use our sample request form to order free samples of our wooden skirting boards. We look forward to hearing from you!